19 June 2007

Seaside

My son and I travelled to Clevedon at the weekend to play on the bandstand with a brass band. Note the trees leaning due to the prevailing wind!

Clevedon is a quiet seaside town the on the North Somerset coast, it still retains a somewhat genteel atmosphere from the Victorian age.




Fortunately the sea front has not become commercialised, there is a place to buy teas, coffee, ice cream and fish and chips so all are catered for.









The Victorian pier was opened in 1869 but in 1970 the end section collapsed, since then it has been restored and reopened in 1998.Most of the coast is rocky with a small sandy beach by the pier.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I know this well, Starnitesky, my cousin lives nearby in Portishead. You're right, Clevedon does indeed have Victorian overtones. They're part of its charm.

    Did you ever see the film "Remains of the Day" (Emma Thompson, Anthony Hopkins)? The last scene was set on Clevedon pier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 am

    I was last in Clevedon in 1954. My friend and I took our bikes by ferry from Cardiff and stayed with his Gran in the town. We cycled all over Somerset that August.
    Your pictures have brought it all back vividly.
    I got my O Level results by telegram whilst there.
    A.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.