I spotted this fungi growing on the bottom of a tree that has been cut down and made into a seat.
I have been trying to find out the name of it and came up with two - King Alfred's Cake fungus or Hoof fungus - please let me know if you do know the name.
This is the lane where the tree is:
Pairs is a wonderful meme created by Helena at her Creative Maven


What an interesting path leading away down that lane! I like seeing fungi at this time of year - and that is an interesting shape :)
ReplyDeleteWell I don't know what it is called but I like the name hoof fungus.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful fungi Barbara. Without looking on google or in a book I wouldn't know the name of this one, it is unlike any bracket fungi I have seen. I hope you can identify it.
ReplyDeleteWhat interesting names for fungus. What a lovely walkway. I shall be interested to know what the fungus is called. If I was naming, I'd go with Hoof Fungus as it does look like a big draft horse's hoof.
ReplyDeleteFungi are among the most fascinating "plants" around. This is one I've never seen.
ReplyDeletenice lane...but not the prettiest fungus!!
ReplyDeleteI've never seen one like that before. I guess it's called King Alfred's Cake because it looks so burnt! It's certainly very unusual. An interesting pair.
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely lane and the fungus blends in well with the wood - well spotted
ReplyDeleteIt does look exactly like a hoof and not at all appetising ;)
ReplyDelete