18 January 2016

Memorandum Monday

Waving to Sian and all my blog readers on this rainy Monday.  Memorandum Monday is another great idea from Sian.

So what was new for me this weekend?

As I have stated before geocaching takes me to all sorts of places, a new cache had been placed in a village not far away and it was part of a series of geocaches placed near Pillboxes.

Pillboxes were built during World War II as a defence structure to keep an invading army at bay. 28,000 Pillboxes were built during the war but only 6,000 remain today. The one I visited was built to defend the railway bridge (which is no longer there) carrying the Somerset and Dorset railway, it was part of the Green Stop line which went from Burnham on Sea to Melksham, Wiltshire.

I was surprised to see a Pillbox here as I thought they were always at high points or on the coast.


Only one photograph as my battery died just after taking this photograph!



2 comments:

  1. I know I'm not being very "new" here because I've told you before..but I think I'd really enjoy geocaching. This one looks like a very interesting find.

    Have a good week Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about pillboxes. Glad to add a new word to my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.