22 December 2008

My World Tuesday

Each year the parish church in Glastonbury holds a Shining Tree Festival. Organisations in the town are invited to decorate a Christmas tree, the church looks magical with all the lights on the trees. Here are some of them:



This is the Memorial tree where names of loved ones no longer with us can be written on a star and hung on the tree. Unfortunately my list was rather long.



My World Tuesday is from the Sky Watch team, visit the That's My World site to find out all about it and who is participating.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15 pm

    What a beautiful tradition. One that I only heard of here now in your entry.

    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:15 pm

    The third photo looks like the interior of a church I visited in Venice....lovely architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:24 pm

    Welcome back after the blog problems. They come to all of us at some time or another.

    Lovely photos! I remember reading a book set in Glastonbury as an elementary school student - something about King Arthur but the name of it escapes me.

    I hope you're having warmer weather than we are. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures from your wetland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:34 pm

    Bringing Nature indoors is indeed a magical event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of writing names of loved ones, who are no longer with us, and hang them in a tree. These trees are very brilliant and shining! I hope you'll have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. !st class post, really enjoyed reading and seeing the lovely trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trees are beautiful in the church, that is a neat tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many traditions around the world but this is a new one to me and such a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really well done. It's the time of season where our thoughts move back and forth in time, and its good to have that sort of tradition to keep us grounded and connected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful way to commemorate loved ones. Thanks for showing me around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! I am going to send my brother the link to your post, as he can see Glastonbury Tor from his home and would love this, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glastonbury another place to add to my 'to do list' to visit :) I love the trees and the remembrance tree is always special. Judith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful star tree:)

    I just popped in to say thanks so much for your support and comment at mine.


    Merry Christmas

    Suburbia x

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS! I hope you don't mind but I ''borrowed'' your Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots and posting.

    I wish you and yours a merry Christmas and a great new Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. really a season for churches. lovely shots. anyways, have a blessed christmas to you and your love ones... from my islands to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely trees and decorations...great post...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful impressive Church and a nice tradition. The star tree is special.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.