
This is the Tithe Barn at Bradford-on-Avon. The Tithe Barn was built in the early 14th century as part of the medieval farmstead belonging to Shaftesbury Abbey. Its function was to store the produce of the farm, and of the farms of the manor. Tenant farms contributed a tithe, meaning a tenth of their produce. King Ethelred gave the Manor of Bradford, including the monastery founded by St Aldhelm, to the Abbess of Shaftesbury in 1001. The barn is now owned and maintained by English Heritage.
Information from http://www.bradfordonavon.co.uk/tithe-barn.htm
Monochrome Monday is hosted by Aileni - do visit
the dedicated site here to see many more entries.
So old and simply beautiful. B&W looks so natural for this picture. Great job!
ReplyDeleteIt is kept in superb condition.
ReplyDeleteI think it is good that these organizations exist....
ReplyDeleteAll these older places would be lost....
I am a member of the National Trust......
Nice piece of history too....
That's a beautiful shot of the tithe barn. Interesting post.
ReplyDeleteGreat shot!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice week :)
Great monochrome photo!
ReplyDeleteAn important place. I went to Bradford-on-Avon once and it was so pretty.
ReplyDeleteOh look, my verifier is grainis!
That looks a lovely barn, it is very nice done in mono.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first I've heard of a tithe barn, although I know that today some religious people tithe money to their churches. Very interesting post.
ReplyDeleteWow, such rich history. Lovely photo :)
ReplyDeleteVery nice barn, I simply love old buildings like that! Great captured :)
ReplyDelete