15 August 2016

Memorandum Monday

Waving to all the Monday bloggers.

As I have said before geocaching takes me to lots of NEW places.  Saturday Katie and I went to visit Holcombe Old Church.


I have often seen the church on the map and wondered why the church was not in the middle of the village which is a couple of miles away.  I met some local people in the churchyard and they told me the original medieval village was abandoned and buried after the Black Death and the new village was built a couple of miles away.

In the churchyard is a memorial to Captain Robert Falcon Scott (of the Antarctic) and his family as his father managed the brewery in the village.




Also in the churchyard is a very sad grave, 5 children were drowned in a local pond in 1899. How said for their families.  On the other side of the grave is the name of another child who also drowned elsewhere.




The church was closed so I was not able to go inside.  It is a very pretty area and well worth a visit. The church is used a few times during the year and at Easter and Christmas.


Memorandum Monday another great idea from Sian.  
Follow the link to find other blogs taking part


Also linking to 5 in 5 - the idea is to take 5 photographs in 5 minutes.
Visit Sandie at Itchifingers to join in.

5 comments:

  1. what a scenic church - always fascinating reading old graves

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting bit of history about the village. A very sad incident to lose so many village children all together and more than one from some families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting old churches and villages, finding out their history can be fascinating. Imagine loosing so many children to drowning in the village pond - I wondered how that happened but then read they had been on thin ice. Tragic. So much of interest in such a little church. Thank you for taking part in 5in5 this month Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating: I love medieval history especially, so I was really interested in reading about the village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'd never really thought about a whole town being wiped out and then started new close by. And every cemetery has stories to tell, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.