17 April 2007

Visit to Kingston Lacey

Some friends and I visited Kingston Lacey at the weekend. It is near Wimborne in Dorset. The house and garden are set in 250 acres of wooded parkland. After eating our lunch in the sunshine,we went on one of the woodland walks which took us past the Japanese Garden, quarry garden and Cedar walk. The weather was sunny and warm, it was so enjoyable walking in the sunshine. In February there is a beautiful display of snowdrops, I would love to go back next year and see them.

The house is 17th century house designed by Sir Robert Pratt for Sir Ralph Bankes to replace his ruined family seat at Corfe Castle; it contains a collection of Old Master paintings with works by Van Dyck, Titian and Brueghel collected by William Bankes, there is also an exhibition of Egyptian artefacts from 3,000BC.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Kingston Lacey House
This is the fernery, a few weeks ago this would
have been a beautiful drift of snowdrops.


Lady's Walk
Japanese Tea Garden was originally built during the
Edwardian era and has been recently rebuilt.


Part of the Woodland Walk

Camelias
Kingston Lacey house from the Cedar Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.