
This week the letter we have reached is Q
Q is for Quarry, this quarry is near Stoke St Michael in the Mendip Hills
The rocks extracted from Moons Hill and Stoke Quarries are volcanic in origin and were formed some four hundred million years ago in the Silurian period of geological time. They form part of a renowned feature of British geological history and have been the subject of much debate and research over the years. The volcanoes which produced the lavas, ashes and other rock types extended over a wide area of what is now south west Volcanic lavas, described as Andesites, were extruded over a wide area forming beds up to 100 to 150 metres thick. During the period of volcanic activity accumulations of volcanic ash also built up, sometimes overlying the lavas, sometimes interbedded with them. The fine-grained ashes are known as Tuffs and often contain blocks or cobbles of Andesite lavas; these formations are known as Agglomerates. Because of the presence of shales and mudstones below the volcanic rocks and sometimes interbedded with them, we know that volcanic activity was taking place in a marine environment. The whole sequence of lavas, ashes and agglomerates can be readily identified and measured in the Quarries because the beds are now standing vertically on end like books on a bookshelf. (www.wainwright.co.uk)
Very informative Q post and lots of lovely photos!
ReplyDeleteVery informative post on the quarry there, and you can tell me more about it at the Queen's Head Pub. lol ;D
ReplyDeleteI love geology. Terrific post.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Come visit my Quadruped,
Troy
Hey, I wish I could meet ya at the Queen's and we can have a pint and chat about what to post for R!
ReplyDeleteLoved all your quarry photos and the words to go with them!
ReplyDeleteI like your quarry....there is one a few miles away from here and I did not think of it....
ReplyDeleteMine seems so unoriginal.
Great Q post!!
ReplyDeleteDo you prefer Lager or Bitter in the pub.
ReplyDeleteMy round next
A great set of q's.
ReplyDeleteQueens and quarries - quintessential qualifying quotidians - no queries nor quibbles here.
ReplyDeleteI was in town yesterday hoping to see a Queen's pub but you can never find a queen when you wnat one!
ReplyDeleteI didn't think of quarry.
Hope you're doing well!
I didn't even think of quarry. very nice Q post, today!
ReplyDeleteThat was very interesting, and lovely photos too.
ReplyDeleteHope all is well with you :)
And I chose material from a Devonshire Quarry. I can but approve of your choice. My school in Newton Abbot was built just on the flank of a volcano and the owner of the land containing a modest caldera had run a model railway around it.
ReplyDeleteWhat an excellent collection of Q's. Loved the pub sign! LOL!
ReplyDeleteGreat shots, my fav is the Pub haha.
ReplyDeleteVery informative post and great shots for the letter Q. I've enjoyed seeing what you come up with even though I'm not doing the ABC challenge.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first that I have seen a quarry in our ABCs for the week. The postings and phots have been remarkably creative for such a difficult letter.
ReplyDeleteI've been known to start many a quest in a local pub. A good brew really gets my brain cells working.
ReplyDeleteI chose to use nearby Quadra Island for Q. It is a fun vacation destination that you can see by clicking here. – Margy
What an excellent Q. Very original. There were quarries around where I was brought up too - never thought of quarries for the Q post.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen mine? I got an odd shot and critter one up too. Pop over if you have time...
Excellent post. I love all the information of the quarries and the geology.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your comments I'm pleased you enjoyed my Q post and the info about quarries.
ReplyDeleteI hope they did't find the Queen's head in the Quarry!
ReplyDeleteNice combination of Qs