17 June 2008

ABC Wednesday - V


V
is f
or HMS Victory

HMS Victory is the Royal Navy's most famous warship.
She is the world's oldest commissioned ship and a proud memorial to Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson, Britain's greatest Naval hero.

HMS Victory is one of the most famous warships ever built. Built between 1759-1765, Victory was a first-rate, ship-of-the-line.

In 1805, Vice Admiral Lord Nelson on board his flagship, HMS Victory, led 27 British ships into battle off Cape Trafalgar against a much larger combined French and Spanish fleet.

Thanks to Nelson's inspired leadership, the British won a great victory and the Battle of Trafalgar has become a defining moment in our history. But Nelson paid the ultimate price - struck by a single bullet as he paced the quarterdeck with his captain, Thomas Hardy, he survived just long enough to learn the outcome of the battle.

Source: http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/hmsvictory

I visited in September 2005 and it was a very interesting place to visit. I hope you like the photos.








To find out more about ABC Wednesday, join in the fun and see links to other participants' sites go to mrs nesbitts place

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Where is it located now? Imagine something that impressive being built back then! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great choice for this weeks letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:14 am

    Beautiful and perfect for V! Great photos...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:10 am

    The ship is magnificent and your photos have captured it beautifully. It looks so luxurious yet I know the privations the sailors lived with then. The first photo makes me want to live on that ship! What history it has seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much work has been spent on carving all those beautiful decorations of those tall ships. My father was a sailor for over almost 40 years. He always said:" at that time,there were wooden ships and iron sailors, now there are iron ships and wooden sailors" Well not all together true ,of course...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:09 am

    Great pictures. Are these since the fire?
    I am an avid reader of novels of the period yet I look at that gun deck and have difficulty imagining the sheer hell of action there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this the one on the Thames, in London?
    If so we passed it last year!
    Awesome site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:08 pm

    Cool ship, I would love to see it for real!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd no idea she was quite that big! Looks the size of a block of flats. Must have been very impressive when she was built.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a very beautiful ship even though it a warship. They really could build ship back than.
    Very interesting post:)
    Petunia's ABC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your comments, HMS Victory is in a dry dock in Portsmouth, Hampshire and is now part of the Historic Dockyard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine how long it took to build a ship like this! Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is bigger than I imgained. Excellent choice, superb imgaes and a very informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful bit of naval history. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots and an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:08 pm

    Very cool shots... terrific post, too. Beautiful restoration...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.