16 April 2013

Walk on Colliers Way

Looking for places to walk I found Colliers Way a recreational path of 23 miles which at present follows the old railway line from Frome to Dundas, there is a project to extend the route into Bath to link with the Bristol and Bath Railway Path. It is also part of the National Cycle Network.

Information from the Colliers Way website:
The Radstock to Frome railway line first opened in 1854 to coal traffic, and to passengers a year later. It closed to passengers in 1959, but survived serving freight and the wagon works at Radstock until 1988. From Frome to Radstock was originally built to Brunel's broad gauge, but then at Radstock the line to Bristol was standard gauge. The broad gauge was converted in 1874 to standard gauge.
http://www.colliersway.co.uk/index.php

We went there on a very cold day with snow flurries falling most of the afternoon.




Some of the railway tracks run alongside the path.


I am looking forward to going back when spring finally arrives to see all the trees turning green. Hopefully it will be warmer.

1 comment:

  1. Paths make such gorgeous photography subjects, don't they!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.