I decided to take Katie for a walk at Walton Hill not too far from home. It was a big mistake as we started on our walk along the hillside when shooting started in the woods below, Katie was very frightened as it was new to her to hear loud bangs coming from the woods.
She was straining to go back to the car so I just stopped and when she calmed down we walked a little further and then went back to the car and she walked without straining. My dogs always wear a harness in the car which I kept on so I clipped the lead to her collar and harness for safety in case she tried to take off.
Be prepared for loud noises in the countryside!
Memorandum Monday another great idea from Sian.
Follow the link to find other blogs taking part


I would be with Katie on this - I really get quite stressed when I hear shooting in the fields - our local farmers have been given permission to hunt the coyotes which have doubled in pack size. I hate the noise & I hate the idea of the killing ... I think that your ability to calm Katie down, shows what trusts she has in you.
ReplyDeleteI don't like the sound of shooting and a lot of dogs hate it. Collies can be very sensitive to it too. I think you were sensible to walk a little further once she was calm. Otherwise she will think she can bolt back whenever she is upset.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if your calm reassurance was exactly what was needed
ReplyDeleteWishing you a great week