The Legend
The year is 863BC. Bladud, King of the Britons and father of the unfortunate
Returning home and realising that an imperfect prince could not inherit the throne, he left the royal palace in disguise to take a job as a swineherd in an "untravell'd part of the country".
As Bladud drove his pigs in search of acorns he crossed the River Avon at shallows north of Saltford - at a place which subsequently took its name from the legend - Swineford.
The rest of the story is famous. Bladud's pigs also contracted his disease but were cured when they rolled in the hot mud around
Observing the miracle, Bladud also bathed in the hot murky water and he too was cured.
Returning home in triumph he went on to become
Information from http://www.kingbladudspigs.org/ - do visit to find out more about King Bladud.
ABC Wednesday was started by Mrs Nesbitt, do visit to find out all about it. More ABC entries can be seen on the ABC Wednesday Anthology blog.

What fun to explore the city looking for the pigs! There have been similar exhibitions in some cities in thei country with cows. I've only seen a few, as I live in a small town.
ReplyDeleteWow what an adventure you must have had getting all those fabulous pig photos and aren't they just brilliant. A few years ago we had something similar on the island instead of pigs we had cows and people decorated them in such fantastic ways. Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteWow, that was very interesting! I didn't know that about Bath.
ReplyDeleteThe story of King Bladud is fascinating. I wonder whether he had the disease of leprosy as we know it, or if it was some other skin disorder or something. I've never heard of leprosy being cured by mud. Anyway I loved the story of his pigs, and some of those in the exhibition are quite beautiful!
What a terrific legend. I love turning legends into narrative poetry so watch out for this one!
ReplyDeleteThis was fascinating and what interesting images.
ReplyDeleteVery dramatic and fun shots of the King's pigs. Thanks for the explaination too.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of King Bladud. Thanks for the history lesson, and the pigs.
ReplyDeleteSomehow this legend passed me by - or I never took it in on a thick day.
ReplyDeleteNo cry of 'great post' -superlatives seem inadequate. A quality post with quality pictures.
What an interesting post! I loved how many ways they can decorate the pig!
ReplyDeleteMy entries are posted here and here.
Such a fun way to keep legend alive. Some of the pigs you found are really decorative, and they are all distinctive.
ReplyDeleteLovely story and great photos,
ReplyDeleteRay
I great story and one whichI have never heard of before... the pigs are delightful.... and can you guess what is roasting in my oven at the moment... Ham Joints..uummm!
ReplyDeleteTom
Mine's Here
What an amazing exploration! These are fantastic! Something new for me!
ReplyDeleteThat was a fun post! In Chicago, you can find cows, in Cleveland, guitars.
ReplyDeleteI think I like the pigs best! : D
A few years ago in Toronto, Ontario they had a similar exhibition but the theme was decorated cows.
ReplyDeleteIt was a lot of fun going around and finding the statues in different parts of the city.
And some of the decorations were so funny.
Wonderful photos for todays letter K.
Bear((( )))
That's interesting! And I love the pigs. I saw something similar with cows in New York a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteI have seen some of those in Bath, thay are so interesting and a great idea for public art. You have found so many, all so colourful. It was busy when we visited Bath so we didn't hunt many down.
ReplyDeleteI visited Bath once in the 1970s but must have missed the pigs. I guess many of these pigs you are showing are part of a temporary art show and wouldn't have been there then. I love all these pigs. Such fun.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this story and the photos of all the piggies. Last year I was in Bath for a day. And I was impressed by this city and the Abbey.
ReplyDeleteThese are fascinating - another good reason to come back and visit Bath again. :D
ReplyDelete