26 July 2009

Monochrome Monday

Sadly, one year ago on Tuesday the pier at Weston-super-Mare burnt down, this photograph was taken a week afterwards. The pier is now being re-built and will open in 2010 - you can read all about the progress here. The news article from the day can be read here.


Monochrome Monday is hosted by Aileni - do visit the dedicated site here to see many more entries.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 pm

    So glad they are bring this one back also. Yes, you were correct in your memory of my 1954 crossing to Clevedon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a shame that is was destroyed like that. I am glad they are re building it, i know it won't be the same as the original but hopefully it will look lovely once it is done.


    Piers give such character to places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:13 pm

    Wow, I never thought it was that extensive....
    I think we were staying in Dorset at the time on holiday.
    When we came home never heard anymore.
    So glad they are re-building this one, such a shame we have lost so many over the years.
    Thanks for the up date, we might go that way next year and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great B&W!!

    Have a nice week!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's terrible that it burned down but great it's being rebuilt. I love this photograph. Very powerful image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You took a very good picture of a sad thing. I remember when my local pier was destroyed. It's a nostolgic feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one was really a beauty...
    Loved the lines in this picture, she skyes behind, it was really perfect.

    Hugs from Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you got a good monochrome subject!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I will be a little less deep, although the commentary is interesting... .works for a B&W for sure! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photo! The dark stick framing against the grey background is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A year! Time really does pass by so quickly. It is good to see the pier will be rebuilt and soon too. A UK seaside town needs a pier. Timeless mono.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This B&W photo is so beautiful because of the composition of the picture and the silhouette of the construction. The grey sky and the empty beach create a feeling of loneliness. Perfect!
    Thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.