08 March 2011

ABC Wednesday - H

For H we travel to Highbridge in Somerset. Highbridge is a few miles from Burnham-on-Sea where we visited for the  letter B.

ABC_Wed_8 Highbridge is a small market town situated on the edge of the Somerset Levels near the mouth of the River Brue.

There is archaeological evidence of occupation around the Highbridge area at least as far back as the Roman period. A bridged crossing over the River Brue at this location has existed since the 14th century and it has always been an important crossing on the route from Bristol to the South West. The town that sprung up around this crossing takes it name from the bridge. An older name for the local manor was "Huish" a contraction of the phrase "Huish jaxta altum pontem" (next to a high bridge).

IMG_7378_1 St John’s Church

IMG_7383_1War Memorial

IMG_7392_1

Highbridge has a train station with trains from Bristol and Exeter

IMG_7394_1

IMG_7397_1Highbridge Community Hall

 

IMG_7398_1

Highbridge was the birthplace of noted British spy Frank Foley, the "British Schindler", who saved thousands of Jews in World War II, who is honoured by a statue near the Community Hall in the town centre.  For more information on the bravery of Frank Foley visit here.

Details on the statue:

IMG_7404_1 IMG_7401_1IMG_7402_1Information from Wikipedia 

ABC Wednesday is hosted by Denise Nesbitt and the ABC team, do visit to see many more H posts.

10 comments:

  1. Great choice for letter H. Gorgeous shots.

    Have a peek on my letter H, see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually looks like quite a modern town! Although I still see the British style of architecture. Have a great week,

    Leslie
    ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely visit - I feel I have had a good little excursion - great! Thanks so much for contributing.
    Denise
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific, interesting post for the H Day! I really enjoyed reading about Highbridge, its history and about Frank Foley! Thanks for sharing this! Enjoy your week!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:38 pm

    Thank you very much for this interesting journey. Please have a good Wednesday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting story of the statue.
    but I love the church.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. This old town has several wonderful structures. The details in the statue are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:41 am

    Lovely shots of England... making me a little homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonjour!
    This city is very beautiful and I'm enchanted by your set of pictures from there.
    Mainly the first one, the church, I think it's my favorite!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.