As you can see there is a wall surrounding the well which Tara could not jump over so I put her back into the car while I looked for the cache.
When I got home I decided to look up the origins of the Holy Well and found this information on the Megalithic Portal website:
Holy Well or Sacred Spring in Somerset
This large and impressive structure comes as quite a surprise as one takes Holywell Road through the village. It lies on the corner of this road protected by a clump of trees. Unfortunately the source of water has now dried or else seasonal ( although this may have been the result of a summer drought ). The water was used for scorbutic disorders and was very cold. Antiquarian Horne ( 1923 ) states :
" ..water gathers in a well-made stone tank about three feet square, the top of which is level with the surrounding ground. It is covered with two stone slabs, one of which at the date of visit in April 1915 had been removed, and the tank was half full of decaying leaves as a consequence. The water was three feet in depth and ran through a stone spout. The flow was slight, and the water of a greenish milky colour, with a strong and horrible smell of sulphur. "
Around the structure also are seats set around a stone forecourt. This structure was restored in as a stone plaque recalls :
" Edington Holy Well was renovated in 1937 in the memory of Margaret Charlotte Fownes Luttrell "
Although it states the source of water has dried the well was flowing quite well as we have had quite a lot of rain recently.
I love geocaching as I go to new places that I would not otherwise know existed, I have visited this village several time but didn't know there was a Holy Well there.
Linking with Our World Tuesday and Zoom in Zoom out.
Zoom In, Zoom Out is a meme created by Helena, see more Zoom In Zoom Out here





Very interesting.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post about the Holy Well and great shots! ~ Wonder what you found in the geocache ~
ReplyDeleteHappy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
www.acreativeharbor.com
Wonderful post about the Holy Well and great shots! ~ Wonder what you found in the geocache ~
ReplyDeleteHappy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
www.acreativeharbor.com
Interesting information and shots.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a wonderful discovery! I've always been interested in geochaching but never got to actually doing it. There are many geocaching spots here in Phnom Penh!
ReplyDeleteNice shots.
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely well
ReplyDeleteInteresting name for the well. I wonder if the water could still help treat what it originally was used for.
ReplyDelete