11 February 2008

Tower

These photos are of King Alfred’s Tower, also known as Stourton Tower, it is at the north western edge of the Stourhead Estate in Wiltshire, UK. It is a folly and was completed in 1772 at an estimated cost of £5,000-£6,000. Built of brick, the tower is 160 ft high and is triangular in shape, inside is a spiral staircase of 205 steps leading to a viewing platform. This was closed for the winter when I visited.

The tower was designed in 1765 by Henry Flitcroft, a notable 18th century

Palladian architect, St Mark’s tower in Venice being his inspiration.

Above the door on the south east side is a statue of King Alfred

just below is a stone panel with this inscription:

ALFRED THE GREAT

AD 879 on this Summit
Erected his Standard
Against Danish Invaders
To him We owe The Origin of Juries
The Establishment of a Militia
The Creation of a Naval Force
ALFRED The Light of a Benighted Age
Was a Philosopher and a Christian
The Father of his People
The Founder of the English
MONARCHY and LIBERTY

Surrounding the tower are miles of woodland, mostly part of the Stourhead Estate.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a fantastic tower! I don't think I could do all those steps but I would try just to see what it's like inside.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.