16 March 2009

My World Tuesday

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, I went for a walk around Blagdon Lake which holds water for the city of Bristol, 10 miles away. It is also a very popular place for fishing.



Lake history

The Bristol Waterworks Company was formed in 1846 to supply spring water from the Sherborne Spring at Chewton Mendip in the Mendip Hills to people in Bristol via the Barrow Tanks (which are the oldest of the Bristol fisheries)

As the population of Bristol and demand for fresh water supplies grew, the company obtained approval to build a dam across the river Yeo at Blagdon, construction started in 1891 and was completed 8 years later when the reservoir started to fill.

The lake was filled by 1903 and opened for fly fishing on 21st May 2004.

Info from http://www.blagdon-lake.net/

The lake re-opens this year for fishing on 23rd March. I don't know much about fishing but I believe it is stocked with Trout and Pike.


A Cormorant drying its wings




Do visit the MyWorld team and the MyWorld blog to see many other parts of the world.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots from your part of the world. I love how blue the water looks. Also interesting to learn about this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots of your lake, just as nice as ours.

    Have a great week!
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your water is so blue. The cormorants do that here on a sunny day. Lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your world is lovely. so are your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lake looks like a beautiful place for a walk. And if the fishing is good, so much the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:39 am

    Yes, that is one pretty lake. I think a nice spot for birding too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a great springtime walk. I also liked your birds nests photo in the skywatch post - something I've missed seeing whilst living in China.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful lake and surroundings and a magical walk along its shores. Wouldn't mind a spot of fishing there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful colour here, great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots and interesting information. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so is learning to fish on your agenda this season?
    enjoyed your post and photos.
    thanks for sharing with us
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the first photo. Makes me wanne be in such a place right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.