
G is for Glastonbury
Glastonbury is a small town in Somerset, England situated 31 miles south of Bristol, with a population of approx 10,000. Glastonbury is a rather different and lively small town and one that is steeped in history, myths and legends, which makes it popular as a ‘new age’ destination. Myths include Glastonbury as the final resting place for King Arthur and the Holy Grail, and although it is a small town there is a great deal for visitors to see including the 7th century Glastonbury Abbey, Glastonbury Tor and the Chalice Well. However, Glastonbury is probably best known for its legendary annual Glastonbury Festival, which can be best described as Britain's original rock festival.

One view from the top of Glastonbury Tor


Glastonbury Abbey is set in 36 acres of beautifully peaceful parkland in the centre of the ancient market town of Glastonbury. It is traditionally the first Christian Sanctuary in Great Britain, visited so legend has it, by Joseph of Arimathea and Saints David and Patrick.
Joseph of Arimathea was the Biblical figure who took Jesus' body after the crucifixion. After fleeing Palestine he arrived in Britain bringing with him the Holy Grail, the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper. It is said he established the first church in England at Glastonbury, with archaeological records confirming that there may have been an early Christian church there. The Holy Grail has never been found but legend says it was buried by Joseph at the foot of Glastonbury Tor. Others say the Holy Grail was buried with Joseph when he died, in a secret grave. The search for the mysterious Grail emerges again and again in the tales of Glastonbury.
This is a model of how Glastonbury once looked.
The Abbot's Kitchen in the Abbey grounds has a high octagonal tower over a square base bedecked with gargoyles. Inside is noted for the very large ovens and the high dome supported on reed-thin vaulting ribs.

Two views of Glastonbury Abbey


The Market Cross

Bookshops in the Market Place

If you would like to join in with ABC Wednesday visit
Mrs Nesbitt's Place
Another place I would love to visit.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, these are wonderful photos. I think I'll have to come visit. I'm a bookseller, love the shots of the bookshop, too.
ReplyDeleteWow those are some fantastic photos.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post! I've only been to Glastonbury once - in poor company at a busy time of year! - and I always wanted to go back.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful place!!!! :)))
ReplyDeleteGreat photos.
Fantastic photos and a great G!! I love it:)
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day
WOW so beautiful!!!!
ReplyDeleteKatney - if you ever do visit - let me know!
ReplyDeleteWonderful G post with lots of history. I just read a book not long ago - a fictional account of King Arthur by a British author - and Glastonbury played a prominent role. It is interesting to see the modern day remains.
ReplyDeleteGlastonbury looks like a wonderful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiuful photographs and
ReplyDeleteinteresting information
about them!
The Bookshops look like
a fun place to be in.
Thanks for stopping in at
my blog!
God Bless and have a Great Week!!!
Hello:)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place you show us:)
Thanks for the interesting history.
Nice place, my youger son goes there for the festival every year, it seems it always rains when the festivals on he says.
ReplyDeleteHowdy from Wyoming! Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love the pictures you posted; I can't believe how green everything is! Even in the summer, the dominant color here on the high desert is brown. I would love to visit your country and experience it for myself. Thank you for a beautiful window into your world.
ReplyDeleteJo
I imagine that visiting a place like this is simply amazing. I love history and I can revel in the atmoshere of places like this for hours, imagining what it was like.
ReplyDeleteGlastonbury is on my list for when I come to visit the UK next year... as well as other sacred sites and of course Cornwall!!!
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait... thanks for showing me what to expect :)
I must have missed this post when making the ABC rounds. We have a Glastonbury here in Connecticut. It is a nice town settled in the late 1600's with a population of 32.5K. Doesn't have those wonderful green hills, though.
ReplyDeleteGreat G Starnitesky! And you posted about soemthing very close to here too. I did quite a lot of B&W photography on and around the Tor a few years back - very atmospheric.
ReplyDeleteI love your pics of Glastonbury! We have visited the Tor often particularly to mark memorable occasions in our lives. The children love it too.Thanks for the memories!
ReplyDeleteNot sure if I should have posted this on my comments or yours (still learning) however you have made my day, the anniversary of my first posting and I recieved my first comment! Thanks for visiting!!
ReplyDeleteI rarely read a post that makes me want to travel so much! Thanks!
ReplyDelete