01 July 2008

ABC Wednesday - X


X is for Xylophone .......

The modern western-style xylophone has bars made of rosewood or more commonly, kelon, an extremely durable fiberglass that allows a louder sound at the expense of tone quality. Some xylophones can be as small as 2 1/2 octaves but concert xylophones are typically 3 1/2 or 4 octaves.

Concert xylophones have resonators below the bars to enhance the tone and sustain. Frames are made of wood or cheap steel tubing; more expensive xylophones feature height adjustment and more stability in the stand.

wikipedia.org





To find out more about ABC Wednesday and see links to other participants' sites go to mrs nesbitts place

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:33 am

    Beautiful instrument. I was hoping to see one in our X posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are nice photos... I just love how the xylophone sounds... it's a very pretty sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the sound from this xylophone is outstanding...I mean, X-cellent. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second shot is beautiful. Great angle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, nice! I wanted to use xylophone, but had taken no pictures of them in the past and didn't know where I could do so this week. One of my sons played marimba for a while with the his local symphony orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice x good shoots to

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Real Xylophone! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this yours?
    Hope the shoulder is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:09 am

    Brilliant! I did think about rumaging about in the attic for one of the children's toys but was at a loss know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice X. I'd no idea that the bars were made of fibreglass now - how strange. Thanks for all the information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of xylophones. Is that yours?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful X. The wood colours and grain is very beautiful in your photos.
    ann at:
    varying seasons
    and
    nature tales and camera trails

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I would see a lot of these today, but this is the first! Nice explanation of the way the sounds may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to have a relative who would get out his xylophone and marimba on special occasions and bang up a storm of music.   Seems like a complicated instrument to master...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great instrument and beautiful photos! Do you play the xylophone?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your xylophone. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A nice X! I have always liked the jazz played on the Xylophone (and Vibraphone). What would the Modern Jazz Quartet be without it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:08 pm

    I don't think I have ever seen a Xylophone that big. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choice and nice shots for the letter X.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for all your comments, the Xylophone belongs to my son's friend, he is a professional percussionist, based in Cardiff.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful xylophone.
    The music is so soothing from a xylophone.
    An eXcellent choice for ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool - how you managed to come up with one is amazing!
    Good "X"!
    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, and we are both fans of the Modern Jazz Quartet too!
    Nick also has a Vibraphone, which he plays a lot of Jazz on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never seen one that big. I have only seen little toys ones. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely beautiful! I only saw one other xylophone and it was different also. Last weekend at a recycle fair at the park, I heard a band playing xylophones and they were all made of steel pipe that had been discarded. WOW! Lovely sound coming from them. I didn't think to take their photo tho. Darn! Missed opportunity! I think the hot temperature might have distracted me--that and the fact that I was photographing benches made from recycled goods.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! I love the sound of a xylophone when it's played properly. Is this yours? Do you play? I know I'm late, but do pop over to see my teeny post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. X was hard wasn't it? I wish I could hear the sound along with the picture!

    I was going to do xmas (cheating really) but I was so busy I didn't manage to post at all. Hopefully no one thought it was because I couldn't think of anything!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all, I love to hear from my readers.




LinkWithin

.